International Day of the Girl. Oct 11, 2013
Celebrate International Day of the Girl.
The International Day of the Girl gives us a powerful way to highlight the particular needs and rights of girls, and to advocate for greater action and investment to enable girls to reach their full potential.
Today, girls still face discrimination in many parts of the world simply because they are girls. They face unique challenges such as barriers to education and opportunities to make a living, early and forced marriage, and poverty.
By ensuring girls have a right to an education, we’ll help them attain the tools they need to create a better life for themselves and lift entire nations out of poverty. Here’s why:
- For every extra year a girl stays in school, her income can increase by 15 to 25%.
- A woman who is educated will marry later and have fewer, healthier children.
- Women invest more of their income in their families than men do.
Girls have the potential to change the world but they can’t do it without you. Get inspired by our list and help girls today.
How to Celebrate Day of the Girl
See how people are celebrating #DayOfTheGirl!
Advocate for girls' rights
- Raise your hand on Facebook for girls’ education and share with your friends.
- Take a photo, hashtag it with #DayOfTheGirland make sure to post it to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest to show everyone that you support International Day of the Girl. Photo ideas include:
- Take a photo of yourself with your hand raised to show your support for girls' education
- Trace your hand in chalk
- Take a photo of yourself wearing pink
- Purchase a Because I am a Girl T-shirt or wear magenta to show your support for the International Day of the Girl. Take a photo of yourself and hashtag it with #DayOfTheGirl and post to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest.
Celebrate Day of the Girl
Celebrate #DayOfTheGirl this October 11! Here are some ways to get you started.
Fun ways to donate!